Friday, September 25, 2009

a prayer

I was a rock, till He crushed me 'neath the weight of His gaze
I was a sea, till He drowned me in the flood of His tears
I was the Crown of my People,
And now, I am extinguished ashes 'neath His Feet
Oh You who overwhelmed my heart in plaintive prayer,
And engulfed these eyes in Noah's flood--
Oh You who broke the supple body of Jeremiah,
As if his bones were naught but brittle cakes--
Oh You who exiled your faithful servant to the desert of loneliness and grief,
Where even his friends turned away, calling him "liar"
Hear, oh Lord, my prayer,
For my cries ring out as theirs
From the depths I sing out to You,
From the depths of the pit of grief, from the unseen
Hear, oh Lord, the lamenting song
Of your broken-hearted servant

No comments:

Post a Comment